Translate

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

WHIDBEY ISLAND

BEFORE DAWN TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAY 20...Raining and COLD
KYLE OF THE CORNER RESTAURANT...Thanks, Kyle

WILDLIFE OF PUGET SOUND (SALISH SEA)


VIEW FROM DECEPTION PASS BRIDGE



DECEPTION PASS BRIDGE...Note Island In Center Of Bridge





DECEPTION PASS BRIDGE ...




DECEPTION PASS - HISTORY ...Second Largest Island In the USA (after Long Island, NY)



A-6 IN FLIGHT OVER OAK HARBOR, WASHINGTON

A-6 US NAVY FIGHTER BOMBER

A-6 STATIC DISPLAY, OAK HARBOR, WASHINGTON



OAK HARBOR, WASHINGTON WELCOME



STACEY'S COW STACEY NEUMILLER (http://www.staceynuemiller.com/)



PENN COVE, WASHINGTON... Stacy's Place




FORT CASEY, WHIDBEY ISLAND, FERRY LANDING


WASHINGTON STATE FERRY, CHETZAMOKA (Used to ride this Ferry 40 years ago)
Day 6: WHIDBEY ISLAND

Another rain leak developed…this time somewhere above the Shower Stall…a small one, though, which can wait till Sun shines.

Discovered I have a problem (ya don’s say !!)

To sleep before 8 pm last night and awake at 5 am. Fixed up some hot cereal & tea…nice. Checked E-Mail…nothing. Heated up a teakettle of water and took a sponge bath…sure needed THAT…shaved while I was at it…felt nice & shiny.

It was exceptionally dark, but was 8am, so got rain gear on and set out from the Anacortes / Highway 20 Intersection for the Deception Pass about 6 miles away.

Got about a half hour out. Was pouring rain and very cold and extremely DARK. No berm on Highway 20, and cars by the dozens whizzing past throwing bow waves soaking me to the skin.

Then it hit me…how dumb can I be…no, never mind…we all know THAT.

Forever, my wristwatch is kept on Pacific Daylight Time On our cruise around the World in the 2000 Millennium, my watch stayed that way…Going to Europe or Florida, it stays that way…given me a mental challenge to calculate quickly the “local” time.

Well, this morning, I screwed up…totally forgot about the watch setting…when the dime finally dropped, I realized it was NOT 8:30 am…it was 7:30 am.

Anyway, I got over it quickly and reached Deception Pass & it’s beautiful bridge by 8:45.

Roamed around the bridge a few minutes, which I have visited numerous times before – but never by walking…even took both TICINO and JOURNEY through the Pass with full tide running…exciting as all get out.

Turned around and walked part way back when Kevin stopped and offered me a ride…was raining & guess I looked kinda shriveled up. Kevin’s ride gave me an extra hour for walking…so, I stopped in at the Corner Restaurant, where Kyle whipped up a scrumptious breakfast.

So far, so good.

Got aboard SPIA and drove her over the Deception Pass Bridge and about one mile beyond. Parked and walked back to the Bridge and returned to SPIA...But did NOT stop; kept walking South on Highway 20 all the way to Downtown OAK HARBOR, WASHINGTON.

Turned around, to return3to SPIA.

So happens the US Navy Base at Oak Harbor is Home to the A-6 Fighter Bomber (Flight Of The Intruder)…the Navy’s primary Aircraft Carrier Bomber since years before Viet Nam. A-6’s were roaring overhead constantly. Managed to get a couple pics in flight. The static display at the Base Entrance is, however, awesome.

Then, W.D. came along in his vehicle, offered me a ride, and handed back another 45 minutes for later-in-the-day walking. Thanks W.D.; hope the fishing is good.

Drove SPIA to the Oak Harbor Safeway Store, where I picked up some fruit.

Continued with SPIA South of Oak Harbor a couple miles and parked. Walked back to Oak Harbor and returned to SPIA…then along came a kind hearted Navy Man in Combat Fatigues, who gave me a ride nearly to Coupeville. Thanked him, and walked back to SPIA, some 5 miles back toward Oak Harbor.

Popped in to the “Pottery” shop in Penn Cove, where Stacey met me and toured me around her shop, pointing out the oil and acrylic paintings she created.

Continued back to SPIA…now 3:40 pm. Drove on to Coupeville. Parked and walked back a couple miles along Highway 20 and returned to Coupeville. Then, getting dark, decided to drive to the Fort Casey Washington State Ferry Dock to check out sailing schedules and cost. Cost is $28.00 for SPIA, SAM & ME to cross the Salish Sea to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula, where we will go in the morning.

There is limited over-night parking at the Ferry Dock and I got one of them. Decided better stay for the night…might not have a spot if I went back to Coupeville to complete the walk…OK OK OK, so I deleted a couple lousy miles…better safe than sorry…and besides, do have a mile or two in the bank.

Cooked up the True Cod Fish I bought Saturday…Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and Sweet Pickle Relish…was it ever tasty.

Now, to spend the evening cleaning up SPIA inside a bit…got a bit scrambled the last couple days going in and out in soaked/dirty duds.

PROGRESS REPORT: Walked FORWARD 23 miles today. Got rides of 8 additional miles…So all told, walked 31 miles today..

SEE YOUR IMPACT: Credit 23 miles at $0.02 = $0.46 for the day

Catch the 7:30 am Ferry in the morning. Reach Port Townsend about 8:30 am. Then start our Round-The-Olympic-Mountain walk – hopefully with SAM…weather and road condition allowing.

When we started at the Peace Arch last Thursday, projected arriving in Fort Casey day after tomorrow… NOT a good projection ! !

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is Larry of Andie & Larry from yesterday. Best wishes to you my friend. At times I feel old. Your grit inspires me and makes me young!
Very best wishes to you.