Translate

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 10, 2010

ELMWOOD, OKLAHOMA

SOD HIDES 4" - 5" OF SOFT LOAMY BERM SOIL. ONCE OFF THE PAVEMENT, SOFT BERM DRAGS VEHICLE OFF NEW ROADWAY...VERY DANGEROUS DESIGN...BERM MUST BE "FIRM" TO CARRY VEHICLE WEIGHT -of course, staying on the macadam is best.
US 412 BERM DESIGN FLAW CAUSED THIS WRECK OF TRUCK MOUNTED CRANE. SOFT LOAMY SOIL USED TO BACKFILL NEW PAVEMENT PREVENTED TIRES CLIMBING BACK ONTO THE 4- 5" HIGH NEW PAVEMENT...REAR WHEELS ALSO ENTERED SOFT BERM & ENTIRE TOP-HEAVY RIG ROLLED OVER

BARBWIRE PASTURE FENCE - TRIPOD ARMS ARE STEEL


I MOO000, OKLAHOMA CATTLE WALK ALONG WITH ME



PRARIE TOWN WATER SYSTEM - GRAIN SILO IN BACKGROUND




WIDLY GROWN MILO .. A CATTLE / HOG FEEDSTOCK





HOME MADE SOLAR HOT WATER SYSTEM - YES, IT WORKS...SHOWER WATER WAS HOT






THE REST OF THE FAMILY







MAMMA & DAUGHTER








PRARIE DERELICT...AN OLD UNUSED BARN



















This is the last place I thought we would be tonight. ELMWOOD, COLORADO has a crossroads with two blinking amber lights; sits atop a hill in rolling countryside of cows, cows, and more cows.; has a goodly number of oil wells and local construction for two oil processing zones within a couple miles on US 412. There IS a convenience Store and at least two dogs, one of which came visiting as I ate the YUMMY Hamburger Jodi prepared as I struggled the last 1/2 mile into town...5 minutes after arriving, it was pitch dark...

Most interesting for this walker is that Elmwood lies 37.4 miles from this morning's starting point, Hardesty, Oklahoma.

No, I certainly NOT back to form. I squeezed out every drop of daylight and every ounce of stamina I possess.

The landscape was sometimes quite flat, but mostly undulating hills with ravines and shallow Valleys heading South into Texas, only 15 or so miles from US 412.

We changed tactics for today. Whereas in past days Jody drove SPIA out 10 miles or so between my rests, today, she stayed close by...never more than 2 or 3 miles from me...WOW, what a psychological lift it was to know she was 10 minutes max aweay if I needed assistance.

So today, I really poured on the walking effort. Speed went up over 4 miles per hour. Frequent short (5 minutes or less) rests were enough because I knew I could rest again in 1-1/2 hour or less.

Jodi has not commented on this change...she rarely gives comment, except when I mentioned today's 37.4 miles walked...That is what you were doing before your layoff...not exactly encouraging, but so true. Just don't know if I'm ready for maximum effort every day.

I rather enjoy slowing down now and again to "smell the roses"...or talk to the attentive Oklahoma cows. A herd of no less than 40 Black Angus lined the roadway fence...as long as I MOOood they ALL followed along with me some 20 feet away. So far, not a single Oklahoma cow has run away from me...STRANGE !

Two cars made U-Turns on the Highway, stopped in front of me -I had to stop or walk in the Highway. Both Will and Joellen chatted for several minutes before allowing me on my way...NOW that is "Smelling The Roses".

I will continue at a rapid pace - perhaps 25 - 30 miles per day, but I'm 'bout all done in after today's marathon & a half. This is after all supposed to be demanding YES, but it must also be a bit enjoyable.

Tomorrow IS another day...then we shall see.

I have Pics, but computer battery has not enuf endurance to upload them...must wait for AC plug-in...or drag out the 1,000 Watt Generator. Too tired & too dark tonight...sorry...no, really, I wish I could share them right noe but...oh well

G'Nite

No comments: