Translate

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 11, 2012

POST 550: 02/11/12: OUTER BANKS, NORTH CAROLINA

As another storm slams into the Outer Banks tonight, bringing high winds and heavy rain, I have some good news.

Early this morning, I drove to Nags Head to attend a "post-op" with my surgeon. With a room nearly full of elderly eye patients, I was ushered into the inner sanctum within 5 minutes. The nurse checked documentation for a few moments and left. Mr. Surgeon came in, invited me to rest my chin on his opt-0-meter as he peered into my left eye from which he removed a cataract yesterday...

"Beautiful", says he...see you in a week.

Whereupon he got up and walked out. He was with me all of two entire minutes.

The waiting room was now standing-room only.

I must say the surgical unit was a wonder of professionalism and comforting during yesterday's surgery. I endured NO pain or discomfort. I walked out with a nurse to Tim's car. We again stopped for din din and drove the 50 miles back to Rodanthe.

Upon release after the surgery, I was given a wee pep talk and told to check with the Surgeon in the morning. I was shocked that I could have easily driven my own vehicle home in the dark. For the first time in over 30 years, I could see clearly all road signs, traffic, and the road itself...all without wearing glasses...all in the dark.

After this morning's consultation - to which I drove my self there and back (without eye glasses), I worked all day helping Tim building his new home.

All in all, a most satisfactory day - topped off by Barbara's yesterday left-overs (as I was not allowed to eat or drink all day yesterday).

A bit of sidelight news:

The two sons of Melinda are wrestlers...as are the two grandsons of Tim and Barbara (sons of daughter, Sharon). All four boys compete in various cities in North Carolina and Virginia. Today, they competed in a meet in - I believe - Greenville, North Carolina. Between the four boys, they brought home three First Place, one Second Place, and one Third Place medal...Melinda's oldest son competed in two classes, taking Gold in both.

Encouraging, reassuring, and admittedly emotionally satisfying to see these close families bonded in a way I never did. Something powerful to be learned here.

2 comments:

Aimee @ Explore, Learn, Have Fun! said...

So glad to hear that your surgery went well, and was a success! : )

Bob said...

It's great to hear it turned out well Bruce, best of luck.