Translate

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 28, 2013

POST 1068; FEBRUARY 28, 2013; BELLINGHAM, WASHINGTON


* * * * * * * * * *

From my third floor window Southern exposure, fog reaches to the ground from the heavy grey clouds hanging over the distant hills. Steady rain falls onto Mt. Baker Highway…wipers on high speed clearing windshields of passing vehicles


…perfect for taking a couple hour walk to test the integrity of my new “waterproof” shoes.

Truth be known, am pleased to get some exercise. Scheduled a ½ marathon (walking) for Saturday morning Not so sure that is a good idea so close to Wednesday morning departure from SEA TAC Airport. A last minute injury would not be smart.

The narrow 2-lane roadway to Bellis Fair Mall has tons of traffic. The berm is dirt, filled with a rippling stream of muddy water spilling over the white line. Receive honks from irate drivers squeaking past, a good 6 inches from my shoulder.

Good practice of insistence for “my” space to walk…will soon be facing 3,000 miles playing “chicken” with encroaching 18-wheelers…this time also maneuvering SAM’s 22 inches into the same ridiculous space. Well, we will – for the most part - remain OUTSIDE the painted white strip marking the edge of the “legal” roadway.

Perhaps I should have kept my life insurance premiums up to date.

Arriving at Bellis Fair, stopped at T-Mobil to purchase another 500 minutes for my mobile phone. Then dropped in at TARGET where I purchased a 16 Gig chip for my Panasonic camera…had only one 8 Gig chip, so now we have a backup.

Took time out for lunch at the Buffet…$8.25 for seniors…I try to treat my body to once-a-week protein feast…then visited the Men’s Warehouse, where, upon arriving in Bellingham, purchased over $300.00 in new clothing in preparation for “interviews” for work…my clothes were still in storage at the time. The clothing was on sale – two for the price of one. Salesman said I had 90 days to pick up the second pair, so I put it off. Two weeks ago I dropped in to make my selection, but was told I had until March 31, 2013…so I put it off until today. Today, was informed that my 90 days was up on February 15, 2013. So, kissed away another couple hundred bucks.

Only myself to blame…must take better care of such things!

SAM’s provision boxes weigh a total of 51 pounds. Removing SAM’s batteries, controllers, and 36-volt motor driving the front wheel will remove about 100 pounds…so, will net about 50 pounds REDUCTION in weight. Hope this will be enough reduction to allow for safe descent down those 8% West Virginia Mountain Passes. Of course, that means I must now push SAM up all those same mountains. Should be loads of fun.

SAM’s provision boxes are to arrive in Wilmington, NC on March 06, the same day I arrive in Norfolk to meet Karen and Craig. New demands have resulted in a pick-up time glitch…just hate it when I put others in a bind like that…have a mind to walk from the airport to their home…only 50 miles or so. I know we will work out something as we are all eager to spend time – important time – together.

I feel I must comment on what to me is a matter of critical importance. The building I now live in is inhabited by “elderly”…some in wheel chairs…most using walkers. Our building is one of two with three floors. A single stairway is located in …”corner # 4”. In the center of the building is a single elevator. In the event of an emergency, there is simply NO way the residents can escape the building…the elevator would most likely not function…and in no way can the partly mobile residents descend stairs.

I am told by the manager that the Fire Department has told all residents to REMAIN IN THEIR ROOMS with doors closed. Not really clear how that is to function…perhaps to make up a bed sheet rope to shinny to the ground.

My apartment is 20 feet from the stairway…even so; I have a sturdy rope already tied to my bed ready to cast out my “unlocked” window.

When my lease is up, I will look for safer accommodations.

Oh, yes…my waterproof shoes did NOT leak. My pant legs got soaked, however, so must use my Gaiters under waterproof pants and jacket. SAM will not provide much in the way of shelter from a good down pour. SAM herself, however, is well protected from falling rain…even in a good blow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like your post

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your
post's to be precisely what I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers
to write content to suit your needs? I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome blog!

Visit my webpage; Business Ideas Entrepreneurs