Translate

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 25, 2010

HELLO, WYOMING

WINDMILL BLADE - 175 FEET LONG...NEED 3 OF THESE PER TOWER

WIND BLOWING SEA OF GRASSES
SHEEP IN A SHADED PASTURE


TEEPEE





ABANDONED RANCH...LOTS OF THESE OUT HERE



OREGON TRAIL MUSEUM - MONTPELIER, OREGON






SEEMS REASONABLE TO ME





CHICO...JUST A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT...AND MY FRIEND






Been walking a blistering pace pouring on the miles since returning to Vale, nearly three weeks ago. Have walked every day with no rest day averaging 35 - 40 miles a day. I mention this as I must cross the numerous 7,000 - 8,000 foot Rocky Mountain passes before snow sets in.

That means moving fast as I can go.

I am usually on the road before the Sun rises. Used to be (before Vale) that I would start out around 8 - 9 am. Am now walking 10 - 12 miles by 8 am. Still walk one mile every 15 minutes = 4 miles every hour.

This routine lets me get in three walk sessions a day with an hour or so "recovery" in between.

More often than not, my recovery time is spent moving the Van to the next parking spot...usually 15 or so miles away...so "recovery" is not so good as if I simply got off my feet.

Yes, I do get pooped, especially under the 100 degree heat that sets in around 11 am & stays until after 5 pm or so. Means I must ration my water to be sure I don't run out before I get back to the Van.

My body is holding up brilliantly. I listen to it every step and make adjustments to twinges, pressure spots or a muscle strain. Last 4 days, have been getting heel soreness...probably because I trying to lengthen my stride; so, I have shortened my stride but speed up the pace. Heel soreness is dissipating somewhat. Still holding 4 mph..up hill, flat or down hill.

Problem is that I cannot get comfortable sleeping in the Van..It is awkard t0 move around & quite a chore to get up 2 - 3 times a night to piddle..Not a kid anymore, remember. So, to get proper rest to maintain my demanding walk performance, I have been taking more Motel rooms.

That also has it's own problems. I have financed my entire walk experience completely from my Social Security income...& then only 1/2 that, since the other half goes automatically to my part of household expenses (back in Bellingham) and Government mandatory and supplemental insurance.

Simple truth is not much left over for food or Motel, gas, etc. I'm OK, but may have to cut my walking miles back if I opt to stay in the Van or set up the tent for more nights...simply not enough daylight hours available to maintain my current walking pace without a room to rest properly.

Not complaining, mind you...not my nature to complain...but in my mind a Blog should be about ALL things. It is not easy to talk of limitations or I " wish this or I wish that"..It is as it is and within the parameters given, I perform to the best of my ability...Hope this does not offend.

And, YES, I did walk yesterday...and what a day it was. Up before ole SOL. No one offered me a ride from Cokeville, so I walked the 11 miles back to the Idaho / Wyoming border and back to Cokeville...i.e., 22 miles before breakfast.

Top it off, met & spent some time with CHICO...a truly interesting man living out his life...as the commercial says...just a little bit different (see CHICO Blog of yesterday).

After breaking bread with CHICO, I got a ride out 20 miles toward Border and walked back to Cokeville...a total of 42 or so miles. I then loaded up the Van, thanked my wonderful Hosts Stef - who just two days ago hurt his back - and Angie for the beyond kindness to me for allowing me to sleep on the floor of Angie's Daughter"s Beauty Shop floor...because of "Pioneer Day" celebrations in Cokeville yesterday, there were simply no rooms at the (any) Inn.

I then drove to Kemmerer, some 44 miles from Cokeville where I again took a room...I really am a bit weary and need some comfort to recover yesterdays exciting events. Today...it is 4 am or so as I write this Blog, I plan to hitch to yesterdays stopping point & walk back to the Motel...22 miles. Will be on the road in an hour or so.

Next stop is Little America...a very special place for me since my first visit in 1956...never dreamed I would be WALKING into Little America,,,Google it...may surprise you. Little America is some 60 miles from Kemmerer with not much out there for support. So, I have opted to stay a second night here in Kemmerer & hitch (if possible) at least half way...Not easy terrain, as I am now in the Big Mountain portion which will be way over 100 degrees the next couple days...

Should be a barrel of fun.....

No comments: